Friday, October 17, 2008

The Beaded Frog

A few nights ago I had a Girl's Night out with my mom's group. We went downtown to a beading store called The Beaded Frog. We had food, wine and a great time out without husbands, kids, snotty noses, diapers and got to wear high heels and dry cleanable shirts and dangly earrings. Now, many of us our crafty. Myself, I do paper crafts besides sewing, knitting, quilting and dabbling in other things. Once while living in Halifax I visited a beading store and made something but was not pleased with the outcome.

This place was something else, let me tell you. The selection was overwhelming. There were 3 people there to help us. You could do everything from completely designing and physically creating your own piece to picking up a single item and getting help creating a piece. I chose the latter. I had picked up the center green piece you see in the picture above about 4 or 5 times and put it back. It is a hand painted piece. To me, it looks a bit like a tree of life image. Finally one of my friends told me to get it and get help.

Now being all of 5 foot 2 and a bit, shall we say busty, I didn't want anything elaborate or chunky and one of the other girls, Stellla, had a beautiful piece she designed around a large polished stone and helped me with this. She put a large brass piece behind it then picked out a bunch of small brass pieces. I decided I wanted to make this more of an everyday piece and picked out 3 stones. The clear stone is my husband's birthstone, the dark is my first son's birthstone and the light green is my youngest son's birthstone. I love so much how this turned out that I am planning another trip with my mom.

So, if you are down the Greenville, South Carolina way and have never done this, pop in and have a good time either by yourself or with girlfriends. It is a lot of fun!

1 comment:

Kim Caro said...

beaded frog sound familiar. your necklace is RAD.