Monday, October 13, 2008

A Finished Craft Room!

I finally got my big piece of furniture in the craft room. It is the gentleman's chest pictured below. As mentioned in a previous post, my mom gave it to me to house my supplies. It has many drawers and the cabinets are deep. It is just over 5 feet tall and 5 feet wide. It is about 1 and 1/2 feet deep.

Now, here is the kicker--2 men carried it up my stairs to the second floor. See, my craft room is the bonus room above the garage. We hired our handyman to help us do this. He, SuperJim, and my husband lugged this thing up the stairs at 9 at night while my mom and I counted the gray hairs rapidly popping out in our hair. My son, by the way, thought it was cool-when he could tear himself away from the Backyardigans. My husband had a strap and would holler "Ho!" (no kidding, he really did) and SuperJim had his back under it and that is how they got this sucker up. Thankfully, no one got hurt, it didn't get scratched, fall down the stairs and take out the front door--seriously, I thought it would happen.

Afterward, my husband needed a LARGE drink and a handful of advil and SuperJim was laughing. I guess that is what all superheroes do.

I spent the next couple of days organizing, getting bins for the little things--because there are a lot of little items involved in paper crafting and just finding a home for everything. I am supremely happy with my new space. I was up here till almost midnight Saturday just enjoying the space and tidying up. My husband had to come up and remind me I had an early morning and should think about sleep.

I still have a few things left to do. I need to hang the organizer sitting on the craft table. I still need to paint since the current color which I think is named dirty yuck is not working for me. The room is still spillover guest space so I have to be mindful of that but I am still in love with my new space!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! It looks great in there and everything is so neat again!! Happy Days!!

BeckyKay said...

That is such an amazing space!! I'm very jealous!!

ThreadBeaur said...

That is a fantastic piece of furniture! Wow. That will be nice to have all your supplies in there!

My Inspired Reality said...

Beautiful space and I love that chest. Glad you got it up with no major issues - I feel such good energy in this space, enjoy:)

Kim Caro said...

i am impressed by nothing more than a clean work space. i cant be in mine if there is junk everywhere...

i once fell and ruined a set of bottle caps i painted because i had a messy floor. i sat there and wondered why oh why?

and thought ok instead of beating my self up what can i do to never have this happen again?

"clean your room!"

and so i do.

Miranda said...

Glad you got it up there with no issues, it looks like a wonderful addition to your craft room!

T.Allen said...

What an amazing piece of furniture! Perhaps if I had something 5ft tall, I wouldn't pile the stuff on top, but rather put it inside. PS I think I greyed a bit reading the story-I'm the Queen of guessing worst case scenarios!

Morrigan said...

Your room looks great!

Christie Cottage said...

Wonderful craft room. Love the Gentleman's chest!